Municipal “Day of the Dead” Public Celebrations in Cozumel
“Day of the Dead” Public Celebrations in Cozumel
Cozumel has organized events to celebrate “Day of the Dead” and the pre-Hispanic traditions. These events are open to the public and everyone is invited.
October 31st. – “DAY OF THE DEAD PRE-HISPANIC TRADITIONS.”
7 pm – “San Miguel” municipal cemetery.
- “Day of the Dead” urban legends.
- Procession of the souls down 5th Avenue to the Benito Juarez park downtown.
8 pm – Benito Juarez park, downtown.
- Interplay between pre-Hispanic traditions “Mictlanpa Xantolo and Hanal Pixan”, reenacted by Pueblo del Maíz, Cozumel Teka dance troupe and Luum-Ha folk dance group.
- Cozumel community’s traditional contest of the Day of the Dead Altars.
- Culinary competition.
- Arts and crafts exhibition.
November 1st. – “DAY OF THE DEAD PRE-HISPANIC TRADITIONS.”
7 pm – Benito Juarez park, downtown.
- Traditional “Day of the Dead” altars exhibition
- Department of Culture’s children’s Catarina contest
- “Mictlanpa” pre-Hispanic music and dances from the State of Mexico
November 1st. and 2nd. – 4th. CELEBRATION OF HANAL PIXAN: “BECAUSE LIFE ARISES FROM DEATH”
6 pm to 9 pm – Performance by Pueblo del Maíz
November 2nd. – DAY OF THE DEAD MASS.
SAN MIGUEL CEMETERY
10 am and 4 pm – Presbyter Luis Felipe Trujillo
MANSIÓN DE PAZ CEMETERY
10 am– Presbyter Luis Felipe Trujillo
4 pm– Presbyter Luis Felipe Trujillo
“ÁALKAB PIXAN” DAY OF THE DEAD 3K RACE
5:30 pm – City Hall
“DAY OF THE DEAD PRE-HISPANIC TRADITIONS.”
7 pm – Benito Juarez park downtown
- State of Mexico’s “Tlalmanalli” Day of the Dead offering
- Canirac’s Largest mucbipollo exhibition [typical Mayan dish, made with corn dough, chicken , wrapped in banana leaves]
- Music and dance performances by “Tlalmanalli” from the State of Mexico.
November 21st. – 23rd – 170th. ANNIVERSARY OF THE DECREE OF THE TOWN OF SAN MIGUEL DE COZUMEL
November 21 – 23 – Picture and photographic exhibition of Cozumel.
November 21– Musical Gala: “Canciones a Cozumel.”
- Cozumel Symphonic Band, Corazón Caribe group and 15 local singers.
November 21– Dance Gala: “Enigmas de Nuestra Tierra.”
- Latin Ballet of Virginia company.
November 23– Theatre Gala: “Cozumel, the musical.”
- “A a la Z” productions and “M + M” productions.