Cozumel History: The Day our Ship Came In  by Ric Hajovsky

 

In 1948, Cozumel was languishing.  The chicle boom was a distant memory, the American airbase failed to materialize, and fewer cargo ships were stopping at the island than ever before.  Times were tough.  But things were about to change.  Cozumel’s ship was about to come in.

 

Image Courtesy of Ric Hajovsky

Image Courtesy of Ric Hajovsky

On February 13, 1948 the American-owned freighter “Narwal,” on its way north from Puerto Barrios Honduras to Mobile Alabama with a load of bananas, suffered engine failure and struck the reef at Ixpalbarco, on the eastern coast of Cozumel.  While some of the crew remained aboard the crippled vessel, the rest walked the 20 kilometers or so to town, where they were put up in the rooms of the mothballed Hotel Playa, a hotel that had been built by the state government, but closed due to the poor economy years earlier.

 

The owner of the vessel, Mr. Charles Fair, flew down to Cozumel to supervise the salvage operation and while he was here he fell in love with the island.  When it was time for him to leave, he promised he would send a friend of his back to Cozumel to write an article about the paradise he found when he lost his ship.  A few years later, in 1953, the writer, John Richard (Dick) Humphreys, showed up and stayed for a week at the Hotel Playa, which was again drafted out of retirement to house an unexpected visitor.  Liking what he saw, he realized it would take longer than he thought to really explore the island properly, so he returned to the states and planned to come back to Cozumel for a much longer visit later.  When he did return to the island, he rented a three bedroom house at the corner of Avenida Melgar and Calle 8 Norte (where Tucanos now stands) and stayed for a month  while he explored the island and got to know its people.  He wrote about their kindness, about the low cost of living, the beautiful water, the great seafood, and the idyllic lifestyle.

 

It took Humphreys until 1955 to find a magazine that would publish the article, but the magazine he found was a powerhouse; Holiday Magazine, the magazine of the American Automobile Association, which had over three million subscribers.  When the article appeared in the August, 1955 edition of the magazine, the stampede began.  The travel agencies in Merida were swamped with American tourists vying for the $10 seats on TAMSA’s DC-3 that only flew to the island every other day.  By the middle of September, 1955, around 25 Americans a week were flying to Cozumel.  By the end of September, the number had grown to 60 per week.  The problem was, once they got to Cozumel they had few choices of where to stay.  There were no hotels!

 

The Joaquin and Barbachano families jumped into the breach and quickly refurbished and reopened the old Hotel Playa.  Soon thereafter Ilya (William) Chamberlain, an American born in England to Russian parents, opened another.  Chamberlain’s hotel, the Mayaluum, was actually the same three-bedroom house that Humphreys had rented earlier.  Before long the Chamberlains had expanded their hotel into the adjoining property.

 

When Humphreys returned to Cozumel for the third time in 1958, he was astounded by the changes.  He was greeted warmly by everyone he met, thanked profusely for his help in bringing Cozumel’s economy back from the brink, and welcomed home like a conquering hero.  New hotels and guest houses were popping up like mushrooms, like the 12 new bungalows on Playa San Juan and the Barbachano’s Hotel Isleño (now Cinco Soles), across the street from the Mayaluum.   Counting every bed available, Cozumel was now able to house almost 100 tourists a day.  The age of tourism had reached the island and the 1958 edition of the magazine Visión headlined, “Cozumel se Acapulciza!” meaning “Cozumel is turning into a new Acapulco!”

 

Ric Hajovsky is a historian and the author of several books including “The True History of Cozumel,”  which available on Amazon.com in English, Spanish and electronic formats.  Additionally you can find more examples of his writing on his website, Everything Cozumel.com

El Día el Barco de la Suerte Arribo  Por  Ric Hajovsky

Traducción por Ric Hajovsky

En 1948, Cozumel languidecía.  El “boom “de chicle era una memoria distante, la base aérea americana dejó de materializarse, y la cantidad de buques que paraban en la muelle era la mas mínima en la historia de la isla.  Los tiempos eran duros.  Pero las cosas estuvieron a punto de cambiarse.  El barco de suerte estuvo a punto de llegar.

 

El 13 de febrero de 1948 el carguero “Narwal,” en su camino norte de Puerto Barrios, Honduras  a Mobil, Alabama con una carga de plátanos, sufrió una avería de motor y golpeó el arrecife  en Ixpalbarco, en la costa del este de Cozumel.  Mientras unos del equipo permaneció a bordo del buque tullido, el resto anduvo los 20 kilómetros a la ciudad, donde ellos fueron hospedados en los cuartos de la antigua  Hotel Playa, un hotel que había sido construido por el gobierno estatal, pero se cerró hace años debido a la falta de negocios.

 

El dueño del buque, americano Sr. Charles Fair, voló a Cozumel para supervisar la operación de salvamento y mientras estaba aquí él se cayó enamorado de la isla.  Cuando era tiempo para marcharse, se prometió  enviaría a un amigo a Cozumel para escribir un artículo sobre el paraíso que encontró cuando perdió su barco.  Unos años más tarde, en 1953, el escritor, John Richard (Dick) Humphreys, llego a Cozumel y se quedó durante una semana en la Hotel Playa, que fue otra vez llamada del retiro para alojar a un invitado inesperado.  Gustando lo que vio, Humphreys realizó que tomaría más tiempo que pensó para explorar isla correctamente, entonces volvió a los Estados, y planeó regresar a Cozumel para una visita mucho más larga más luego.  Cuando volvió a la isla, alquiló una casa de tres dormitorios en la esquina del Malecón y Calle 8 Norte y se quedó durante un mes, mientras que exploró Cozumel y llegó a conocer a su gente.   Él escribió sobre la amabilidad de los Cozumeleños, sobre el bajo coste de la vida en la isla, el agua cristalina, los ricos mariscos, y el estilo de vida idílico.

 

Tomó Humphreys hasta 1955 para encontrar una revista que  publicaría el artículo, pero la revista que encontró era una de los mas fuertes en Estados Unidos; Holiday Magazine, la revista de la Asociación Automovilística Americana, que tenía a más de tres millones de suscriptores.  Cuando el artículo apareció en la edición de agosto de 1955, la estampida comenzó.

 

Las agencias de viajes en Mérida fueron hundidas con turistas americanos que compiten para los asientos de 10 dólares en la vuelo del DC-3 de TAMSA, que sólo voló a la isla cada dos días.  Al medio de septiembre de 1955, alrededor de 25 americanos por semana volaban a Cozumel.  Por el final de septiembre, el número había crecido a 60 por semana.  El problema era, una vez que ellos se llegaron a Cozumel, tenían pocas opciones de donde quedarse. ¡No había ningunos hoteles!

 

Las familias Joaquin y Barbachano actuaron rápidamente a restaurar y volver a abrir la vieja Hotel Playa. Inmediatamente después, Ilya (William) Chamberlain, un americano nacido en Inglaterra a padres rusos, abrió otro.  El hotel de Chamberlain, el Mayaluum (donde el Tucan es hoy en día), era realmente la misma casa de tres dormitorios que Humphreys había alquilado antes. Dentro de poco Chamberlain había ampliado su hotel para incluir la propiedad al lado.

Cuando Humphreys volvió a Cozumel por la tercera vez en 1958, fue asombrado por los cambios.  Fue saludado cariñosamente por cada uno se encontró, agradecido profusamente por su ayuda en devolver la economía de Cozumel del basurero, y dio la bienvenida a casa como un héroe.  Los nuevos hoteles y las casas de huéspedes creció como hongos, como los 12 nuevos bungalós en la Playa San Juan y el Hotel de Barbachano, El Isleño (ahora Cinco Soles), a través de la calle del Mayaluum.    Contando cada cama disponible, Cozumel era capaz ahora de alojar a casi 100 turistas por día.  ¡La edad de turismo había alcanzado a la isla, y, como aclaro la edición 1958 de la revista Visión, “Cozumel se Acapulciza!”

Ric Hajovsky

Ric Hajovsky says:

“When a false statement is repeated often enough, people begin to believe it.A lack of qualifications or bona fides on the part of the ‘authority’ responsible for the misstatement makes no difference; if it is repeated frequently enough it takes on the cloak of respectability and is reiterated, retweeted, or reposted by the gullible.Eventually, the falsehood becomes entrenched in the odd mix of facts and fiction known as ‘common belief.’Once accepted into this corpus of flawed data, these mistakes, misstatements and misunderstandings are nearly impossible to remove or correct.As the old saying goes, ‘it is easier to hoodwink someone than it is to convince them that they have been hoodwinked.’

These commonly-held, but mistaken beliefs are rarely disputed.That is because shouting ‘The King has no clothes!’ rarely has a satisfying outcome for the one first pointing out the faux pas.However, this will not deter me from continuing to point out and correct the errors, inaccuracies and outright frauds that continue to be quoted as the ‘facts’ of Cozumel’s history.”

Ric Hajovsky’s newest book, The True History of Cozumel, is available in English as a paperback or Kindle eBook on Amazon.com

Latest posts by Ric Hajovsky (see all)

0 Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

©2019 Cozumel 4 You  |  Website Design by Internet Marketing Press

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?